- AVL — Automatic Vehicle Location is a means for determining the geographic location of a vehicle and transmitting this information to a point where it can be used.
- AVTS — Automatic Vehicle Tracking System
- GIS — Geographic Information System is a system for capturing, storing, analyzing and managing data and associated attributes which are spatially referenced to the earth.
- GPS — Global Positioning System. Utilizing Earth orbit satellites that transmit precise microwave signals, the system enables a GPS receiver to determine its location, speed/direction, and date/time.
- GPRS — General Packet Radio Service is a Mobile Data Service available to users of GSM mobile phones. GPRS can be used for services such as Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) access, Short Message Service (SMS), Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS), and for Internet communication services such as email and World Wide Web access.
- GSM — Global System for Mobile communications (originally from Groupe Special Mobile) is the most popular standard for mobile phones in the world.
- VTD — Vehicle Tracking Device
- VTS — Vehicle Tracking System
- VTU — Vehicle Tracking Unit